Attack ‘linked to police complaint’

Died after being attacked at a Halloween party: Eden Delir. Photo: Supplied Ardavaz and Dorothy Delir, whose son Eden was killed after a Halloween party brawl. Photo: Wes Lonergan/Fairfield City Cham

A Sydney teenager who was allegedly beaten to death by six youths at a Halloween party was set upon because he ”had the temerity” to report an earlier attack by some of the same young men, a court has heard.

Eden Delir, 17, was found lying unconscious and covered in blood beside a house on Restwell Road, Bossley Park, about 10.30pm on October 30, 2010. He never regained consciousness and died in hospital six days later.

The NSW Supreme Court heard on Monday that Eden’s injuries were inflicted in a ”ferocious attack” by six young men who had shown up at the party uninvited and in an aggressive mood.

One of the youths, who allegedly smashed a glass bottle over Eden’s head during the attack, is facing trial for murder.

”They made their attendance and their purposes plain,” Crown prosecutor Paul Leask said as Eden’s mother cried quietly in the court gallery.

He said that, not long after arriving, one of the youths pointed at Eden and said ”that’s the guy that snitched”.

”The evidence will be that some months before the assault that killed him he was a victim of a robbery involving [another one of his alleged attackers],” Mr Leask said. ”Eden went to the police and reported this attack.

”It is the Crown case that because Eden had the temerity to complain to the police about the violence he received during the robbery, he became a target for further violence. It was this robbery and the aftermath which galvanised these men together in their attack against Eden.”

Later in the night, when the group of young men were standing out the front of the property, they allegedly began taunting Eden, calling out ”hey fatty” and ”hey Eden, come over here”.

The court heard that when the 17-year-old approached, one of the youths took his hat, before another allegedly punched him in the head.

”The ferocity of that punch was so serious that he fell to the ground,” Mr Leask said.

”It’s the Crown case that Eden then suffered a ferocious attack. He was hit to the head and kicked to the head in circumstances where he didn’t have a chance – six against one. It is alleged that this accused had a bottle and he smashed it over the head of the victim.

”By some burst of energy, he broke free from his attackers and ran up the street. One of the members of the group went after him, but Eden out ran him. He ended up beside this house.”

The barrister representing the accused said his client had no motive for the attack, and that much of the evidence in the trial had been contaminated by witnesses talking to one another before speaking to the police.

The trial continues.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on 苏州美甲美睫培训.

Comments are closed.